Liver diseases are a major problem worldwide. However, the number of drugs actually used successfully in humans is very less. In this review some of the most promising studied...
Liver diseases are a major problem worldwide. However, the number of drugs actually used successfully in humans is very less. In this review some of the most promising studied drugs utilized for liver diseases were chosen and analyzed critically from the basic clinical point of view. Some medicines are used to prevent complications of chronic liver disease. Others are used to treat the symptoms of chronic liver disease.
Here are few Drugs suggested for Liver Disease
No treatment will cure cirrhosis or repair scarring in the liver that has already occurred. But treatment can sometimes prevent or delay further liver damage. Treatment involves lifestyle changes, medicines, and regular doctor visits. In some cases, you may need surgery for treatment of complications from cirrhosis. Blood tests, which measure liver enzymes, are done to check liver function before and during chemotherapy treatment. These tests are done to check for liver damage, especially when the drugs used have the potential to affect the liver.
- INTERFERON– It is used to treat hairy cell leukemia and AIDS-related Kaposi’s sarcoma. They are also used to treat laryngeal papillomatosis (growths in the respiratory tract) in children, genital warts, and some kinds of hepatitis.
- LASIX– Loop diuretics are given to help reduce the amount of water in the body. They work by acting on the kidneys to increase the flow of urine. Furosemide is also used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) in those patients who are not helped by other medicines or in those patients who have kidney problems.
- PAXIL– It is used to treat mental depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and panic disorder.
- IMURAN– It belongs to the group of medicines known as immunosuppressive agents. It is used to reduce the body’s natural immunity in patients who receive organ transplants.
- PROZAC– It is used to treat mental depression, obsessive-compulsive symptoms associated with Tourette’s disorder, and in the treatments of obesity and bulimia nervosa. This medication has also been used to treat PMS (premenstrual syndrome).
- ELAVIL–Its heterocyclic drug used to treat spontaneous endogenous depression and is extremely sedating.
- AMANTADINE– It is an antiviral used to prevent or treat certain influenza (flu) infections (type A). It may be given alone or along with flu shots.
- LACTULOSE– It is an oral laxative
- LAMIVUDINE– It is used in the treatment of the infection caused by the human immunodeficiency virus
- LIV 52 – It is a herbal medicines for preventing chronic liver diseases. This protective effect of Liv-52 can be attributed to the diuretic, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidative, and immunomodulating properties of the component herbs
- PENICILLAMINE – It is a commonly used medicine for Wilson’s disease. This drug chelates or binds with copper and leads to its secretion from the body. Patients on penicillamine are monitored since this drug can sometimes be tough on the kidneys or bone marrow. It can also affect wound healing. It is important to take penicillamine consistently, since patients with Wilson’s disease who stop it have developed liver failure.
Liked this article on Liver Diseases And Preventive Drugs and have something to say? Comment below and don’t forget to SHARE THIS ARTICLE!